Warrior names are used to denote strength, bravery, and courage.
Some warrior names represent a personal journey or challenge that is being conquered by the individual giving themselves the warrior name.
Warrior names come from many different cultures and backgrounds, each with its own unique meaning and significance.
From ancient Greek mythology to Norse sagas, some of the most popular warrior names have been used for centuries by warriors of all kinds.
In this article, we take a look at different warrior names across many different categories.
- Warrior Names for Girls (Female)
- Warrior Names for Boys (Male)
- Warrior Names WOW
- Warrior Names Generator
- Warrior Names for Black Cats
- Mythical Warrior Names (Male / Female)
- Dark Warrior Names
- Fantasy Warrior Names
- Warrior Names for Games
- Warrior Names in Greek
- Warrior Names in Japanese
- Viking Warrior Names
- Native American Warrior Names
- Irish Warrior Names
- Ancient Warrior Names
- Cool Warrior Names
- Warrior Princess Names
- Warrior of God Names
But first, let’s take a look at some tips on how to come ups with warrior names.
Tips for Coming Up with a Warrior Name
When creating a warrior name, there are some important points to consider.
1. Consider the warrior’s heritage and culture
Warrior names should reflect their origin and background, so it is important to think of what would be suitable for them.
Try to research the language and customs that warriors in your world might follow and use them as inspiration when coming up with a name.
2. Research other warrior names
It can also be helpful to research existing warrior names from different cultures or time periods for inspiration.
This can help you get ideas on how to phrase or structure your own unique name.
3. Use meaningful words
Words have power, so make sure they reflect the spirit of your character! Think of words that embody the warrior’s personality or values, such as courage, strength, honour etc.
For example, a name like ‘Valiant Heart’ conveys both courage and determination.
4. Keep it short and snappy
Shorter names are often easier to remember and help make your character stand out more than long ones. So try to keep it concise yet meaningful!
5. Have fun with it!
At the end of the day, this is your world, so don’t be afraid to explore different possibilities and get creative with your warrior names!
With these tips in mind, you should have no trouble coming up with an awesome warrior name for your character!
Now let’s take a look at some lists.
Warrior Names for Girls (Female)
Whether you need a title for a fantasy story or looking to honor your ancestors with something meaningful, these powerful warrior names will make you feel invincible.
1) Arete: Meaning “excellence” in Greek, this name was given to one of Zeus’s daughters, who was said to possess great courage and resolve.
2) Bastet: An Egyptian goddess, this name means “she of the ointment jar,” and is associated with protection, healing, and beauty.
3) Boudica: This Celtic warrior queen fought against the Romans in 60 AD, winning several battles before ultimately being defeated. Her name means “victory.”
4) Brunhilde: This Valkyrie from Norse mythology was said to be an unstoppable force on their epic quest. Her name means “armored one.”
5) Eowyn: From J.R.R Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy, Eowyn was a shieldmaiden of Rohan who fearlessly fought against supernatural forces during her journey. Her name means “horse-joy”.
6) Freya: This Norse goddess of love and fertility was said to ride into battle on a chariot pulled by cats, leading many warriors to victory with her courage and strength. Her name means “lady” or “mistress”.
7) Joan of Arc: This French heroine became a national symbol for heroism during the Hundred Years War with England. She led troops in several battles before ultimately being captured and burned at the stake. Her name means “God is gracious”.
8) Katniss: From the Hunger Games trilogy, this brave girl fought against oppressive forces within her own country while inspiring others to join her cause. Her name is derived from the plant genus “knees”, which symbolizes strength and resilience.
9) Medb: In Irish mythology, this war queen was known for her cunning tactics in battle and her desire to be victorious at all costs. Her name means “intoxicating”.
10) Nzinga: This African warrior queen defended her people from colonialism during the 16th century by forming alliances with other indigenous tribes in Angola. Her name means “she who knows how to twist something into a knot”.
11) Penthesilea: From Greek mythology, this Amazon warrior fought alongside Achilles in the Trojan War as well as other battles throughout history. Her name means “mournful one” or “she who suffers pain”.
12) Sigrun: This Valkyrie from Norse mythology was said to be the bravest of all warriors and chose the most heroic deaths for those she led into battle. Her name means “victory rune”.
13) Stheno: In Greek mythology, this Gorgon sister was known as a powerful warrior who guarded an entrance to the underworld. Her name means “strength”.
14) Tristanne: From Arthurian legend, this brave knight is best known for her quest to find the Holy Grail and her unswerving loyalty to King Arthur. Her name means “sorrowful” or “tumultuous.”
10 Greatest Warriors In History
Warrior Names for Boys (Male)
1) Achilles: This Greek hero is best known for his role in the Trojan War, and was said to be an unstoppable force in battle. His name means “pain” or “trouble”.
2) Ajax: Another famous warrior from Greek mythology, this hero was renowned for his strength and courage during the Trojan War. His name means “eagle” or “strong one”.
3) Arthur: This legendary British king is best remembered as the leader of a band of knights during the medieval period, gaining fame through several heroic deeds. His name means “bear-man” or “brave one”.
4) Beowulf: This heroic figure from Anglo-Saxon literature is said to have battled many monsters and dragons throughout his life. His name means “bee wolf” or “bear”.
5) Cuchulainn: A hero of Irish mythology, this warrior was known for his courage and skill in battle, fighting against supernatural forces as well as human enemies. His name means “hound of Culann”.
6) Hector: This legendary Trojan warrior is best remembered for leading the defense of Troy during the Trojan War and ultimately dying fighting against Achilles. His name means “holding fast”.
7) Lancelot: From Arthurian legend, this brave knight fought alongside King Arthur and was renowned for his loyalty and skill in battle. His name means “little land” or “servant”.
8) Odysseus: This Greek hero is best known for his role in the Trojan War, as well as his long journey home after ten years of adventure. His name means “wrathful one”.
9) Perseus: From Greek mythology, this hero is most famous for slaying Medusa and rescuing Andromeda from a sea monster. His name means “destroyer”.
10) Siegfried: A heroic figure from Germanic legend, this brave warrior fought against several monsters and dragons to gain fame and fortune. His name means “victorious peace”.
11) Thor: The Norse god of thunder, this warrior was known for his strength and fearlessness in battle. His name means “thunder”.
12) Tristan: From Arthurian legend, this brave knight is best remembered as a loyal companion to the King and someone who fought against many foes on behalf of Camelot. His name means “sadness”.
13) Ulysses: Another famous hero from Greek mythology, this warrior is best remembered for his ten-year journey home after the Trojan War. His name means “wrathful”.
14) William Wallace: This legendary Scottish freedom fighter was an important leader during the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 13th century, inspiring others to follow him into battle. His name means “protector”.
Warrior Names WOW
7) Blackhand’s Fate
8) Aluneth, Greatstaff of the Magna
9) Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros
14) The Burning Wrath
15) Val’anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings
17) Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian
18) Corrupted Ashbringer
Warrior Names Generator
These warrior names were generated automatically.
Let’s see if they’re decent.
Warrior Names for Black Cats
15) Midnight Star
16) Witching Hour
19) Ninja Warrior
Mythical Warrior Names (Male / Female)
1) Hercules (male) / Atalanta (female)
2) Achilles (male) / Andromeda (female)
3) Beowulf (male) / Freya (female)
4) Cuchulainn (male) / Medbh (female)
5) Hector (male) / Helen of Troy (female)
6) Lancelot (male) / Guinevere (female)
7) Odysseus (male) / Penelope (female)
8) Perseus (male) / Athena (female)
9) Siegfried (male) / Brunhilde (female)
10) Thor (male) / Sif (female)
11) Tristan (male) / Isolde (female)
12) Ulysses (male) / Circe (female)
13) William Wallace (male) / Isabella of France (female).
14) Merlin (male) / Morgana le Fey (female).
15) Arthur Pendragon (male) / Vivianne the Lady of the Lake (female)
16) Gilgamesh (male) / Shamhat (female)
17) Rustam (male) / Humayun (female)
18) Quetzalcoatl (male) / Coatlicue( female)
19) Odin (male) / Freya (female)
Dark Warrior Names
16) Blazing Infernal
18) Maleficent Spirit
19) Shadow Harbinger
20) Black Widow
Fantasy Warrior Names
13) Circle of Power
16) Celestial Champion
17) Mystic Defender
19) Forest Guardian
Warrior Names for Games
10) Vanguard Warrior
11) Ghost Hunter
16) Guardian Angel
17) Savage Beastmaster
18) Star Slayer
19) Mystic Avenger
20) Master of Doom
Warrior Names in Greek Mythology
Warrior Names in Japanese
12) Yamato Takeru
14) Iwanaga Hime
Warrior Names in Norse Mythology
Viking Warrior Names
Native American Warrior Names
18) War-Torn Phoenix
19) Chanting Thunderbird
20) Brave Red Warrior
Irish Warrior Names
2) Fionn mac Cumhaill
4) Red Hugh O’Donnell
5) Brian Boru
6) Niall of the Nine Hostages
7) Gearoid Iarla
8) Graine Ni Maille
9) Muireadach Albanach Mac Clancy
11) High King Cormac McCarthy
12) Grainne Mhaol
13) Diarmait Mac Murchada
14) Queen Medb
Ancient Warrior Names
1) Alexander the Great
3) Julius Caesar
4) Genghis Khan
5) Ashoka Maurya
6) Cyrus the Great
7) Sun Tzu
9) Leonidas of Sparta
11) Attila The Hun
12) Richard I (The Lionheart)
15) Ramesses II
16) Hernan Cortes
17) Joan of Arc
18) Shaka Zulu
19) Hannibal Barca
20) Alexander The Great
Cool Warrior Names
Warrior Princess Names
Warrior of God Names
Aztec Warrior Names
Aztec warriors were the elite military forces of the Aztec empire.
These warriors followed a strict code of military service called the “Law of War”, which outlined rules for battle and victory.
They had their own unique names, many of them inspired by gods or animals from Aztec mythology.
The most famous name among these warriors was probably Quauhtecatl, meaning “eagle warrior”.
Other popular Aztec warrior names include Citlalmina (“star-shaped shield”), Coatlaxopeuh (“serpent that descends on the enemy”), Tezozomoc (“brave one who defeats enemies”), Quetzalcohuātl (“feathered serpent”), Xōchitl (“flower”), Nauhyotl (“warrior of fire”), Cuahtlahuac (“chief of warriors”), Tepanecatl (“lord of men”), and Tecuciztecatl (“man of jade and obsidian”).
These warriors occupied a unique place in Aztec culture, and their names were often associated with strength and bravery.
Many of these names are still used today as a symbol of respect for the Aztec warriors who fought so bravely in service to their people.
FAQs – Warrior Names
What is a very powerful name?
A very powerful name could be something with a strong meaning, like “Victor” or “Lionheart.”
Other powerful names might include “Valiant,” “Brave,” or “Heroic.” Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide what kind of name is most fitting for your warrior.
Are there any naming conventions for warriors?
Some cultures have specific naming conventions for warriors, such as using words that reflect strength and power.
Some examples are names that mean ‘strong’ (Fortis), ‘powerful’ (Potens), ‘fearsome’ (Terribilis), or ‘noble’ (Nobilis).
Additionally, many cultures utilize surnames associated with warrior families.
These typically take the form of adjectives referring to a family’s strength and courage, such as ‘bold’ (Audax), ‘fierce’ (Ferox), or ‘valiant’ (Animosus).
Are there any popular warrior names?
Popular warrior names tend to reflect strength, power, and bravery.
Examples include Maximus, Achilles, Arthur, Ragnar, Boudica, Spartacus, and Xena.
Other popular warrior names are derived from mythology or literature: Hector from Trojan War mythology; Beowulf from the epic poem; Aragorn from Lord of the Rings; and Thor from Norse mythology.
What are some badass names?
Badass names often have a tough, edgy feel to them.
Examples include Blade, Viper, Chaos, Rebel, Shadow, Spike, Gunner and Rogue.
Badass names can also be derived from pop culture references such as Neo (The Matrix), Ryu (Street Fighter) or Darth (Star Wars).
Additionally, some cultures use more aggressive words for badass names; examples include Berserker (Norse), Kaido (Japanese) or Fury (Greek). Ultimately the perfect badass name is up to you!
Which mythical creatures could make good warrior names?
Mythological creatures are often seen as powerful figures of strength and courage which makes them an excellent choice for warrior names.
Examples include Dragon (Chinese), Griffin (Greek), Minotaur (Grecian/Roman), and Thunderbird (Native American).
Other mythical creature names could include Phoenix, Cerberus, Drake, or Hydra.
Are there any tips for choosing a warrior name?
When selecting a warrior name it’s important to keep in mind its impact on the overall impression of your character.
Some helpful tips include:
- Think about the type of person your character is and what kind of name would fit his or her personality.
- Consider using adjectives that reflect strength, power, courage, and resilience.
- Research different cultures and mythologies for ideas.
- Look to popular culture references or literature for inspiration.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations until you find the perfect name.
Finally, remember that the perfect warrior name should reflect your character’s personality and strength!
What is a good male warrior name?
Good male warrior names can range from traditional names to more modern and edgy ones. Examples of traditional warrior names include Alexander, Arthur, or William.
More modern examples could be Blade, Gunner, or Rogue.
Additionally, some cultures have specific naming conventions for warriors that you may want to consider; such as using words that reflect strength and power (Fortis) or adjectives referring to a family’s courage (Audax).
What is a good female warrior name?
Good female warrior names can range from traditional names to more modern and edgy ones.
Examples of traditional female warrior names include Boudica, Brigid, or Xena.
What is a cool name that means warrior?
A few popular options for a name meaning “warrior” include: Aidan, Douglas, Martin, Quinn, Ryker, and Valor.
These names are all strong and powerful in their own way and carry an air of strength to them.
Other potential names associated with warriors include Garen, Kairos, Marcellus, Wallace, and Zev.
No matter which name you choose for your child or use yourself, it will symbolize courage and strength.
Conclusion – Name of Warrior
These are just some of the famous warriors from mythology and history that offer a glimpse into the courage and strength of our ancestors.
Whether it is a female warrior or a male warrior, these names can serve as an inspiration for anyone looking for a unique name for their baby.
Names like Achilles, Tristan, Odysseus, and William Wallace evoke powerful images of courage in the face of adversity.
They remind us that no matter how difficult the journey may be, there is always hope at the end if we remain true to ourselves and to those we love.