Names that mean strong are used to signify strength and courage.
Spirit is often used to represent inner strength and a determination to succeed, while Warrior invokes the image of a brave fighter unafraid of battle.
Brave denotes courage and fortitude, particularly in the face of danger or adversity.
Heart symbolizes an emotional strength that can stand the test of time.
Powerful signifies great power and influence, whether physical, mental or spiritual.
These names are all representations of a strong individual who will face any challenge with confidence and perseverance.
These names have been passed down through generations as examples of resilience, courage and might that should be admired and respected for the lessons they teach us about life.
In this article, we take a look at different names across many different categories.
- Unique Names That Mean Strong
- Names That Mean Strong Spirit
- Names That Mean Strong-Willed
- Names That Mean Strong Girl (Female)
- Names That Mean Strong Boy (Male)
- Names That Mean Strong Warrior
- Names That Mean Strong and Brave
- Names That Mean Strong Heart
- Names That Mean Powerful Warrior
- Girl Names That Mean Strong and Beautiful
- Unisex Names That Mean Strong
- Boy Names That Mean Strong Fighter
- Names That Mean Strong Survivor
- Baby Names That Mean Strong
- Last Names That Mean Strong
- Unique Names with Powerful Meanings
Unique Names That Mean Strong
These unique names all have their own special meaning of strength:
For boys, there’s Kenan (Hebrew for “strong willed”), Kato (African for “strong and brave”), Zarek (Slavic for “powerful warrior”) and Teague (Irish for “poet with a strong heart”).
For girls, there’s Aurelia (Latin for “golden one who is strong and powerful”), Rayna (Hebrew for “song or melody of strength”), Dina (Hebrew for “judgment, strongly held convictions”) and Lianne (French-Gaelic for “graceful, strong-willed woman”).
Names That Mean Strong Spirit
These names all evoke a sense of inner strength and courage:
For boys, there’s Yamato (Japanese for “strong spirit”), Ciaran (Gaelic for “dusky one with a powerful spirit”), Kyros (Greek for “lordly, powerful ruler”) and Ramiro (Germanic for “mighty protector of the people”).
For girls, there’s Taziah (Arabic for “happy and victorious spirit”), Kairi (Japanese for “ocean village with a strong spirit”), Sachi (Japanese for “blissful and powerful spirit”) and Yara (Hebrew for “small but mighty one”).
Names That Mean Strong-Willed
These names are associated with determination and having the will to succeed:
For boys, there’s Owen (Welsh for “young warrior with a strong will”), Axel (Scandinavian for “father of peace and strong-willed”), Lennox (Scottish for “lionlike in strength and power”) and Stellan (Scandinavian for “strong as a rock”).
For girls, there’s Brianna (Gaelic/Irish for “noble and strong-willed”), Nova (Latin for “new and strong-willed”), Yael (Hebrew for “strong, mountain goat”) and Vivian (Latin for “alive and full of life, with a strong will”).
Names That Mean Strong Girl (Female)
These names all have associations with female strength:
For girls, there’s Mina (Germanic for “strong-minded woman”), Eira (Welsh for “snow princess who is strong and powerful”), Ariel (Hebrew for “lion of God who is brave and strong”) and Freya (Norse mythology goddess of love, beauty and strength).
60 STRONG GIRL Names That’ll Make Your Knees Weak – NAMES & MEANINGS!
Names That Mean Strong Boy (Male)
These names all have associations with male strength:
For boys, there’s Cyrus (Persian for “powerful ruler”), Egan (Irish for “ardent and strong”), Damien (Greek for “one who tames and is powerful”) and Odin (Norse mythology god of knowledge and wisdom).
75 Strong Boy Names to Rule Your Name List – Names & Meanings!
Names That Mean Strong Warrior
These names evoke the image of a brave warrior:
For boys, there’s Arthur (Celtic for “brave warrior king”), Galvin (Irish for “mighty in battle”), Boden (Germanic for “ready to fight with great strength”) and Thorin (Norse mythology god of thunder and strength).
For girls, there’s Liora (Hebrew for “my light and strong warrior”), Leora (Hebrew for “my light is strength in battle”), Aila (Finnish for “warrior of the noble kind”) and Renata (Latin for “strongly reborn”).
Names That Mean Strong and Brave
These names evoke a sense of courage:
For boys, there’s Owen (Welsh for “young warrior with a strong will”), Drake (Old English for “dragon; brave, strong-willed man”), Akeem (African American origin meaning “wise, noble and courageous”) and Nate (Hebrew for “gift from God who is brave and strong”).
For girls, there’s Kaya (Native American for “wise one who is strong and brave”), Zuri (Swahili for “beautiful and strong-willed”), Freya (Norse mythology goddess of love, beauty and strength) and Jada (Hebrew for “wise one who is determined and brave”).
Names That Mean Brave Survivor
These names all evoke a sense of resilience:
For boys, there’s Xander (Greek for “protector of mankind, brave survivor”), Asher (Hebrew for “blessed with happiness and a brave survivor”), Kalen (Irish origin meaning “brave survivor in battle”) and Luca (Latin for “light-bringer, brave survivor”).
For girls, there’s Abigail (Hebrew for “father’s joy and a brave survivor”), Zuri (Swahili for “beautiful and strong-willed”), Eliana (Hebrew for “my God has answered; a brave survivor”) and Lianne (French-Gaelic for “graceful, strong-willed woman”).
Names That Mean Strength and Courage
These names all evoke feelings of strength and courage:
For boys, there’s Tristan (Celtic/Arthurian legend for “bold and brave”), Sean (Irish origin meaning “God is gracious and strong-willed”), Samson (Hebrew for “strong, sun-like”) and Liam (Gaelic for “strong-willed warrior and protector”).
For girls, there’s Gia (Italian for “strength of God”), Nova (Latin for “new and strong-willed”), Freya (Norse mythology goddess of love, beauty and strength) and Teagan (Gaelic for “poet who is brave and strong”).
Names That Mean Strong Heart
These names all evoke a sense of inner strength:
For boys, there’s Max (Latin for “greatest and strongest of hearts”), Landon (Old English for “long hill; brave-hearted one”), Devon (English origin meaning “defender with a strong heart”) and Jaxon (Hebrew for “God has been gracious; strong-hearted one”).
For girls, there’s Sophia (Greek for “wisdom and strong-hearted”), Amara (African American origin meaning “eternal beauty with a strong heart”), Reyah (Hebrew for “strong-hearted friend”) and Zola (African origin meaning “heart or peaceful mountain; strong-hearted one”).
No matter the gender, these strong and brave names all have one thing in common: they are a testament to the power of inner strength and courage.
Whether you’re looking for a name that will empower your child or for meaningful words to help guide them through life, these strong and brave names are sure to inspire!
Names That Mean Powerful Warrior
These names all evoke a sense of power and might:
For boys, there’s Thorin (Norse mythology god of thunder and strength), Drake (Old English for “dragon; brave, strong-willed man”), Ethan (Hebrew for “strong, enduring warrior”) and Kane (Gaelic origin meaning “powerful warrior”).
For girls, there’s Isabeau (French origin meaning “God is my oath; powerful warrior”), Kaya (Native American for “wise one who is strong and brave”), Illiana (Spanish for “little strong woman”) and Aila (Finnish for “warrior of the noble kind”).
Girl Names That Mean Strong and Beautiful
These names all evoke a sense of strength and beauty:
For girls, there’s Zuri (Swahili for “beautiful and strong-willed”), Freya (Norse mythology goddess of love, beauty and strength), Jada (Hebrew for “wise one who is determined and brave”) and Lianne (French-Gaelic for “graceful, strong-willed woman”).
Whether your daughter will use her strength to fight injustice or just to stand up for herself in difficult times, these meaningful names are sure to inspire. They will remind her that no matter what she faces, she can be both beautiful and strong!
Unisex Names That Mean Strong
1. Andrew – Greek meaning “strong and manly”
2. Kai/Cay – Hawaiian meaning “strong, unbreakable”
3. Jordan – Hebrew meaning “descending, to flow down”
4. Allard – Germanic origin meaning “noble strength”
5. Audrey – English origin meaning “noble strength”
6. Asher – Hebrew origin meaning “happy and blessed one who is strong”
7. Boadicea – Celtic/Gaulish origin, a legendary queen of the Iceni tribe in Britain who led an uprising against the Romans in 60 AD and means “victory” or “might”.
8. Cedric – English origin meaning “kind and strong”
9. Darell – French origin, an anglicized form of the Norman name D’Arrell meaning “from the fortress”
10. Freya/Freja – Scandinavian origin meaning “strong, ladylike” or “noblewoman”.
11. Grayson – English origin meaning “son of a steward or bailiff who was in charge of his lord’s estate”
12. Jaxon – Hebrew origin from Jackson, which means “God has been gracious”
13. Margaret – Greek origin meaning “pearl,” also deriving from the Latin word “marmor,” which means “marble” or “strength”.
14. Max – Latin origin meaning “the greatest”
15. Ragnar – Norse origin originating from the Old Norse name Ragnarr, meaning “strong counsel”
16. Rowan – Irish origin from an Irish surname derived from Ó Ruadháin meaning “descendant of Ruadhán” which means “red-haired one” and also has a double meaning as it is also derived from ruadhan, which means “little mighty one”.
17. Saffron – Persian/Arabic origin, derived from Zafaran, which means “yellowish” and is related to the Arabic word zafar, which means “victory” or “strength”.
18. Xander – Greek origin from Alexander meaning “defender of mankind”
19. Yuri – Japanese/Russian origin, derived from a Japanese name meaning “lily garden,” but also has a Russian root meaning “farmer”. It can also mean “one who possesses strength”.
20. Zane – Hebrew origin meaning “God is gracious” or “Gift of God”. It also has a Welsh root meaning “fair” or “blond haired”. It can also be considered as an acronym for ‘Zealous Advocate of Novelty and Energy’, signifying strength.
By considering these unique names, you can add a powerful meaning to your child’s name that will be with them for life. With so many different meanings and options, it is easy to find the perfect unisex name for your little one.
Whether you are looking for something meaningful or just something fun and original, there is a strong unisex name out there for everyone.
Boy Names That Mean Strong Fighter
Finding the perfect name for your baby boy can be challenging.
A great way to narrow down the many possibilities is to look for names that carry a special meaning.
One of the most meaningful meanings is strength and courage, making strong fighter names particularly popular for boys.
Here are some ideas for boy names that mean strong fighter:
-Alexander: This classic Greek name means “defender of mankind.” It’s also associated with Alexander the Great, one of history’s greatest warriors.
-Aidan: This Irish name translates to “little fire,” which is fitting considering its association with legendary warrior kings such as King Aidan mac Gabran of Dalriada and High King Niall of Ireland.
-Cyrus: This Persian name has a few different meanings, but one of the most common is “strong fighter.” The name is also associated with Cyrus the Great, who founded the Achaemenid Empire in Persia.
-Dylan: This Welsh name translates to “son of the sea,” which reflects its connection to legendary figures such as Dylan Eil Ton, a powerful warrior king from Welsh mythology.
-Gabriel: This Hebrew name translates to “God is my strength.” It’s also associated with several biblical characters—including Gabriel, an archangel known for his brave and fierce nature.
-Hector: This Greek name has two meanings, both of which emphasize courage and strength—”holding fast” and “defender.” It’s associated with the legendary Trojan War hero, Hector of Troy.
-Liam: This Irish name has multiple meanings, but one of them is “strong-willed warrior.” It’s also an alternate spelling of William, a popular boy’s name with Germanic roots that means “resolute protection.”
-Tristan: This English name translates to “riotous noise,” which reflects its connection to Tristan, a brave knight from Arthurian legend.
These strong fighter names are great options for your baby boy.
Each one carries a special meaning that speaks to strength and courage—perfect for any little warrior!
Names That Mean Strong Survivor
If you’re looking for strong, resilient baby names that have a special meaning ‘survivor’, these options may be just what you are looking for.
Azariah – Hebrew origin, meaning “God has helped”
Ethan – Hebrew origin, meaning “firmness and strength”
Gideon – Hebrew origin, meaning “mighty warrior”
Miles – Latin origin, meaning “soldier or merciful one”
Otto – German origin, meaning “wealthy”
Zane – Greek origin, meaning “graceful survivor”
Cecily – Latin origin, meaning “blind”
Matilda – German origin, meaning “strong in battle”
Nina – Italian origin, meaning “graceful one”
Rhea – Greek origin, meaning “a flowing stream”
Tabitha – Aramaic origin, meaning “gazelle”
Valentina – Latin origin, meaning “healthy and strong”.
Baby Names That Mean Strong
When it comes to choosing a baby name, many parents opt for names that have strong meanings.
A great way to connect with your child’s future is by giving them a powerful, meaningful name.
Whether you are looking for something traditional or modern, there are plenty of strong-meaning baby names to choose from.
For boys, some popular choices include:
* Adriel: Meaning “God’s strength,” this Hebrew name has become increasingly popular in recent years.
* Andrew: This classic name means “manly and brave” in Greek.
* Benjamin: Another popular Biblical name meaning “son of my right hand.”
* Charles: This French moniker means “free man.”
* Ethan: Meaning “firm, strong” in Hebrew, this name is perfect for a little boy who will grow up to be courageous and determined.
For girls, some great choices are:
* Audrey: This classic English name means “noble strength.”
* Emma: This popular Germanic name translates to “universal strength.”
* Gaia: Of Greek origin, this poetic name means “mother earth.”
* Isla: A Scottish name meaning “powerful river.”
* Veronica: Another popular Biblical name which comes from Latin and means “true image.”
Last Names That Mean Strong
Choosing a last name for your family can be an intimidating task, especially if you are looking to express the strength and power of the family.
Luckily, there are many powerful and meaningful last names from around the world that evoke feelings of strength and courage.
Here’s a look at some of the most formidable surnames out there:
1. Armstrong: A Scottish-origin surname, Armstrong means “strong arm” or “brave warrior.”
2. Black: This English-origin name evokes images of power and mystery, making it a great choice for those seeking an authoritative last name.
3. Burchard: A Germanic version of the French-origin Bourgeois, this surname means “strong warrior.”
4. Fisher: This English-origin name means “fisherman,” but it carries the connotation of strength and determination.
5. Hicks: This English-origin surname is derived from the personal name Richard, which means “powerful leader.”
6. Kratz: A Germanic version of the French-origin Crâteau, this surname translates to “strength” or “fortified defense.”
7. Marx: Derived from the Latin phrase marcus, meaning “hammer,” this German surname suggests a strong and indomitable spirit.
8. Peterson: Meaning “son of Peter,” this Scandinavian surname carries with it an aura of strength and determination.
9. Sanderson: This English-origin name is derived from the personal name Alexander, which means “defender of men.”
10. Strong: This English-origin surname lives up to its name! It refers to a person who is physically or mentally powerful.
Unique Names with Powerful Meanings
Giving a child a unique name can be a powerful way to create an identity for them.
Unique names with special meanings can provide the perfect start in life for a young person, helping to shape who they become and how others perceive them.
Here are some meaningful and unusual baby names, along with their origins and definitions:
-Adalia: This beautiful Hebrew name means “God is my refuge”.
-Cadence: This Latin name means “rhythm” or “flow of sound”, making it the perfect choice for music lovers!
-Dante: An Italian name meaning “enduring” or “lasting”, this could be an excellent choice for someone who wants to leave a lasting legacy in the world.
-Eden: This classic Biblical name means “pleasure” and “delight”, making it a cheerful and optimistic choice for your little one.
-Fiona: This Celtic name has many meanings, including “fair-haired” or “white”, as well as being associated with the Gaelic goddess of fertility.
-Grace: A timeless English name meaning “favor” or “blessing”, Grace is a lovely option that will never go out of style!
These are just some of the unique baby names you could consider giving your special bundle of joy.
Whatever name you choose, make sure it reflects the values and beliefs that are important to your family.
FAQs – Names That Mean Strong
What names means strength?
There are a variety of names that have symbolic meaning related to strength.
Some common examples include: Aubrey, Everett, Gabriel, Leo, Maximus, and Soren.
Additionally, there are many names from different cultures which carry connotations of power and strength such as Akira (Japanese), Sunil (Indian), and Óengus (Celtic).
There are also certain ancient mythological figures whose names may symbolically represent strength or power such as Hercules and Athena.
Ultimately, the name you choose should be meaningful to you and your family.
Are there any unisex names that mean strong?
Yes! Unisex names with meanings associated with strength and power include Aria/Aryan (meaning ‘lion’ or ‘noble’), Griffin (meaning ‘strong lord’), and Kennedy (meaning ‘helmeted chief’).
The unisex name Everly is also a great option, as the meaning of the name is “brave one that lives by the boar.”
Other unisex names with strong connotations include Cameron, Emerson, Jordan, Peyton, Rowan, and Quinn.
Are there any biblical names that mean strong?
Yes, there are many biblical names associated with strength.
Some examples of these names include Elijah (which means “the Lord is my God”), Samson (which translates to “sun”) and Joshua (which means “God is salvation”).
Other popular biblical names associated with strength include Caleb, David, Isaac, and Solomon.
Are there any other symbolic names for strength?
Yes! Some additional symbolic names related to strength include: Ajax (meaning “strong”), Aspen (signifying ‘strength’ and ‘resilience’), Maverick (meaning “independent” or “unconventional”), Xander (meaning ‘defender of man’), and Zuri (translating to ‘good-looking and strong’).
Ultimately the name you choose should reflect your unique personality, values, and beliefs.
What names mean fearless and strong?
There are a variety of names that symbolically signify fearlessness and strength.
Examples include: Alexa (meaning “defender”), Amaya (translating to “night rain”), Asher (meaning “happy” or “blessed one”), Auden (signifying ‘old friend’ or ‘bold friend’), Blaze (symbolizing power and courage) and Gage (which means “measurer of wheat”).
Other popular names associated with fearlessness and strength include Harlow, Kendrick, Phoenix, Skylar, Talon, and Zaire.
What Greek name means strong?
The Greek name that means strong is Andromache, which comes from the Ancient Greek words for “man” and “battle.”
The name first appeared in Homer’s epic poem, the Iliad, as the wife of the Trojan hero Hector.
According to legend, Andromache was renowned for her strength and courage in battle.
Other popular Greek names meaning “strong” include Athanasia, which means “immortal,” and Andreas, which translates to “manly.”
Both of these names carry an air of power and determination.
In modern times, many parents are choosing Greek names to give their children a unique connection to their heritage.
Names like Efstratios, meaning “durable,” and Adelphe, which translates to “brotherly love,” are becoming increasingly popular.
No matter what strong Greek name you choose for your child, it will surely be a source of pride and strength throughout their life.
What Bible name means strong?
The Bible name that means strong is Elijah, which comes from the Hebrew words for “Yahweh is God.”
The name first appears in the Old Testament of the Bible as a prophetic figure who serves as an intermediary between God and his people.
In one famous story, Elijah challenges four hundred prophets of Baal to a test of strength by calling upon their gods to provide fire from heaven.
Ultimately, it is Elijah’s faith in Yahweh that prevails over all other gods.
Other popular Biblical names meaning “strong” include Joshua, which means “God is salvation,” and Gideon, which translates to “warrior.”
Conclusion – Names That Mean Strong
Whether you’re looking for a name that will empower your child or for meaningful words to help guide them through life, these strong and brave names are sure to inspire.
With names like Tristan (Celtic/Arthurian legend for “bold and brave”), Zuri (Swahili for “beautiful and strong-willed”) and Max (Latin for “greatest and strongest of hearts”), you’re sure to find something that embodies the strength and courage you want your little one to have.
So go ahead, pick out your favorite strong name – it’s the perfect way to show your child just how powerful they can be!
- Names That Mean Fire
- Names That Mean Beautiful
- Names That Mean Gray or Silver
- Names That Mean Lonely
- Names That Mean Surprise or Unexpected
- Names That Mean Destruction
- Names That Mean Lost and Alone
- Japanese Names That Mean Fire